London with travel to Nottingham, or Nottingham with travel to London, and UK travel to our customers
Chief Operating Officer or equivalent
Our client works with healthcare organisations to achieve sustainable improvements in their performance through better use of data. We are the leading provider of healthcare analysis and clinical bench-marking solutions worldwide: our specialist teams share their world-class expertise with healthcare leaders in hundreds of leading hospitals and commissioning organisations. Our client is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telstra Health.
The Data Engineering team are responsible for building and maintaining services that transform data into intelligence, presenting it as a data source for a multitude of onward consumers. These include customer facing analytical tools and internal research analysts
The Data Engineer is an integral member of a cross-functional delivery team, jointly responsible for designing, building and documenting services for ingesting, processing, transforming and storing data.
Passionate about continuous improvement the Data Engineer has the freedom to experiment with new features and technologies, leveraging this to create proposals for process improvements and enhancements to existing services.
With a keen understanding of the underlying data and processes, the Data Engineer takes an active role in providing support to data consumers and answering customer queries.
Adhering to and participating in the evolution of documented standards and processes, the Data Engineer works closely with other colleagues to build services that surpass expectations.
Key duties and main responsibilities
- Creating and maintaining appropriate levels of design and process documentation
- Developing well engineered, production ready solutions
- Delivering solutions that adhere to the strict governance standards controlling the use and access of sensitive data
- Contributing to the evolution of standards and processes
- Gaining and Maintaining an in depth knowledge of data sets, processes and transformations
Candidate Attributes and Key Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of SQL Server with an emphasis on SSIS & T-SQL
- Significant experience working with business critical data within a data driven organisation
- Significant experience working in a collaborative engineering function
- Exposure to continuous integration for databases and data transformation
- Comfortable working with Object Oriented programming languages
- Strong design skills with a focus on data warehousing, dimensional modelling and optimisation
- Hands on experience of working with Azure (emphasis on data and analytics PaaS)
- Exposure to R and scripting languages such as PowerShell or Python
- An advocate of DevOps; Understands the importance of building robust development processes
- Tenacious attitude towards problem solving
- Naturally curious and eager to learn
- Passionate about continuously improving processes and systems
- Enthusiastic about learning and supporting different database technologies
- Comfortable sharing ideas and suggesting improvements
- Happy to embrace agile working practices
Key Stakeholder Relationships
The data engineer is expected to build and maintain relationships with consumers and suppliers of data at all levels.
Other points to note
Occasional travel to London office